Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Of Rewards and Challenges

Before I share to you the rewards, let me just give you a run down of the challenges I set for myself last week. Like what I did last week, I put a and icon(s) next to the items to indicate if it was a success or not.
  • Morning walks everyday, as long as it's not raining. - Well, I didn't walk to Colinas Verdes last Saturday, but I did walk with Pipoy, so I can still count it.
  • No pork and beef - even having a sip of the sauce / soup / broth. - I am a big pork eater, so this was the biggest challenge this week. I was thankful that I had access to other food choices when brother cooked pork dishes as our meal. This might be the toughest challenge, but surviving it was so sweet!
  • No canned / processed meat, except canned tuna and sardines. - I did open a can of tuna once this week, and Pipoy and I had a pizza with some cold cuts, but I made sure I took out the cold cuts because I wanted to stay true to my word despite Saturday being my cheat day.
  • 1/2 cup of rice for lunch and dinner. - I got tempted to eat more once (when I had salmon as my meal), but I was thankful that I was able to shoo away the dark cloud.
  • Coffee is allowed for only three times this week. - An online pal told me (through the "blue board") that coffee can be a good fat burner because most fat burners contain caffeine, but the reason why I limit myself to just 3 cups a week is because I love the Nescafe Brown n' Creamy coffee, and even if it has caffeine, it also has creamer and sugar.
  • Do "Hip Hop Abs (Cardio)" from Monday to Saturday, but do alternate the other workouts: "Ab Sculpt" for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; "Hips, Buns, Thighs" for Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Sunday will be my rest day, but will do low-impact workout, just to make the day count. - Because I met up with Pipoy, I wasn't able to do my video workout last Saturday, and even if I can use Sunday to make up for Saturday, the family went out to celebrate brother's birthday, so I still wasn't able to do it.

Last week, I only had one check icon and the rest were x. This week, it's a big leap to turn things around. Truly, things are achievable if I just will it.

I have been a good girl this week, and it's just right that I give myself some rewards... but it wasn't just I who gave myself a reward, Pipoy also showered me with rewards:


Jillian Michaels' "30 Day Shred" video. I forgot the first time I heard of this video workout, but I do watched how Jillian Michaels transformed people's lives through "The Biggest Loser," and when I heard of it, I already wanted to try it out. A scrappy (a person I met through the scrapbooking circle) friend once shared her thoughts about the video and it really made me want to try it more. I do know this is one intense workout - some people would say they felt sore and couldn't walk the next day - but part of losing weight is challenging oneself, so I told myself I will do this once I reach 200lbs.

Now that I have the video, I am more motivated to lose the remaining pounds before I can do it.


Shaun T's "Insanity" video. While checking YouTube for "Hip Hop Abs" videos (also created by Shaun T), I came across this video and I immediately wanted to try it out. I admire Shaun T's way of motivating people to dig deeper, and even if this is one insane video, I still would like to try it, but I will do it once I reach 170lbs, because my goal weight is 150, and they say the last 20lbs is often the most difficult thing to lose, so doing this will surely help me overcome the "20lbs hurdle."

Angry Birds Magnetic Bookmark

Angry Birds Magnetic Bookmark. I love playing Angry Birds, and as much as I love the yellow bird, I love the pig with the crown more because it just look cute and it doesn't die that easily. I told Pipoy how I like the pig with the crown, so when he saw this, he bought it instantly. Night before we met last Saturday, he told me about a reward, but he told me that it was just a simple (but usable) item. I find it so sweet that he thought about giving me bookmarks, which are so versatile. Since it's magnetic, I can use it for books as well as pinning notes on the fridge or white board.

Big thanks, my dear!

Brown Flats

Brown Flats. As for the reward from myself, I chose to buy a new pair of flats. Well, my shoes are showing signs of wear and tear, time to have a new one.

The Pizza Hut date I had with Pipoy wasn't a reward - it so happened that I have GCs that I wanted to share with him, but really, the lunch could take place anywhere (any restaurant, even side walk eateries if given the chance) - but as you can see, I never rewarded myself with food. Why? Because I know doing so can sabotage my diet. Sure, I can buy myself a pack of chicharon or maybe allow myself to eat a lot of the liempo, but I chose not to. I worked hard to lose as much weight as I can this month, I can't just put that to waste by eating some unhealthy food.

I know I deserve rewards, but not in the form of unhealthy food. If I'd reward myself with food, I'd make sure it's something beneficial - like... I worked hard this week, I'd treat myself a food trip at the weekend market where I can buy lettuce and asparagus for a dish I want to cook. I don't see it as depriving or hindering myself to eat good food... like I said before, I made my choice.

Well, think of it this way - if you're trying to stop smoking or drinking or gambling... and you successfully did so for one full week, would you sabotage your streak by smoking a cigarette or drinking 1/2 cup of beer or betting a measly p10 for a horse race? Same is the case with dieting. I wanted to be healthy and be well... and I felt rewarding myself with a pack of chicharon or a plate of pasta loaded with heavy cream just doesn't seem worth it.

Okay... this week's (from Monday - Sunday) goals / challenges were basically last week, because I want to make it a habit, but I also added some. :)
  • Morning walks everyday, as long as it's not raining.
  • No canned / processed meat, except canned tuna and sardines.
  • 1/2 cup of rice for lunch and dinner.
  • Coffee is allowed for only three times this week.
  • Do "Hip Hop Abs (Cardio)" from Monday to Saturday, but do alternate the other workouts: "Ab Sculpt" for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; "Hips, Buns, Thighs" for Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Sunday will be my rest day, but will do low-impact workout, just to make the day count.
  • Oatmeal every breakfast.
  • Pamper myself by giving my legs and feet a good wash and massaging before sleeping.
  • Drink 15 cups of water - at least.
  • Pork is only allowed for one meal this week.

There will be an exception, though - like for the workout goal. Well, it's very certain that I am not at home every days of the week, so during on days when I needed to attend an event, the challenge will not be up, but will still do movements just so the day won't be wasted.

If I get to do all these...I will reward myself by going to Sidcor Weekend Market this Sunday. :)

Part of this post should be about the meal plan. Well, I wasn't able to make a plan this week because based from last week, there were some leftover, which causes "problems" in the meal plan. For this week, I will just concentrate on cooking fish and veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We are grateful to have you here.