In 2007, Rags2Riches was created to provide equal opportunities for the women as well as giving them chance to showcase their inner artistry. R2R is a for-profit social enterprise based in Manila that creates eco-ethical fashion and home accessories out of indigenous, organic, and upscaled scrap cloth. Partnering with top Filipino fashion designers - Rajo Laurel, Amina Aranaz-Alunan, and Oliver Tolentino, their visions helped in turning scrap materials into fashion items.
Just last week, I was able to attend the launch of Amina Aranaz-Alunan's new collection - Nudos. Spanish for "knots," the inspiration for this collection came from Ms. Aranaz-Alunan's book about making knots.
I just loved how the bags and accessories look like, very stylish and very modern. More than that, knowing the history behind Rags2Riches, I know each of these pieces were handcrafted with (as cheesy as it might sound) love. :)
Presenting the R2R by Aranaz Nudos Holiday Collection 2012:
Top Left - Cartera Bag
Top Right - Lazo Necklace; Amara Bag
Middle Left - Lazo Necklace; Sobre Bag
Middle Right - Pulsera Bracelet; Lazada Bag
Bottom Picture - Ms. Amina Aranaz-Alunan with the Models
More details about the bags and accessories -
- Cartera (Bag) - Purse in knitted cotton x-small basket weave; knotted braid accent with magnetic snap and knotted ball puller; cotton lining with interior pocket. Dimensions - W 10" x H 5" x D 1.25"
- Pulsera (Bracelet) - Cuff bracelet with knotted braid accent; vachetta leather with golden snap enclosure
- Amara (Bag) - Braided clutch with wooden frame accent; removable antique chain strap and magnetic closure; cotton lining with interior pocket. Dimensions - W 9.5" x H 7.5" x D 2.75" | Chain 25"
- Cuadrada (Bag) - Molded clutch in abaca with knotted ball accent; quilted cotton lining, magnetic closure. Dimensions - W 6" x H 4.25" x D 2.25"
- Lazada (Bag) - Molded clutch in abaca with braided trim detail; knotted cotton flap with magnetic closure; quilted cotton lining. Dimensions - W 7.5" x H 4.75" x D 2.5"
- Sobre (Bag) - Envelope clutch in x-small basket weave; jute flap with magnetic closure and knotted braid accent; cotton lining with interior pocket. Dimensions - W 13.5" x H 8.5" x D 1.25"
- Lazo (Necklace) - Necklace with three cotton knot pendants; braided cotton strap with braided string, antique chain and suede string accents.
- Cuello (Necklace) - Knotted cotton braid choker; braided string, antique chain, and suede string strap.
As I have said, each of the pieces were beautiful, but if I am to pick a favorite it would have to be the Cuadrada bag. I love the feel when holding it; the size was just right to be used at a formal event - and it can hold the basics items needed when attending a formal event (lipstick, foundation, blusher, even a cellphone). Two of cousins are set to get married early next year, and I guess seeing this bag signals that I have to save up for it. Well, the bags and accessories aren't that expensive, but I still have to save up.
If you're interested in any of pieces from the Nudos Holiday Collection 2012, you can visit the Rags2Riches outlet at Unit 3B, Cubao Expo - General Romulo Avenue, Araneta Center Cubao, Quezon City or call them at +63 (02)913-5760. For more information, you can check out their website - www.rags2riches.ph or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.