Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Trying Out Gym for the First Time

Losing weight caused me to have saggy skin, especially on my arms, tummy, and thighs. I realized, while walking and doing video workouts help in losing weight, I also needed to address the saggy issue. :) I hoped to enroll in a gym so I can access different machines for strength training, and thankfully, one opened near our place, which was basically walking distance from our house.

Extreme Gym

Brother was the one who enrolled me at this gym because at that time they had the 2-for-1 promo. Membership fee wasn't really expensive, but it was like having 50% discount so he signed my name as well. With so many things to do and the fears of doing things for the first time, it actually took some time before I went to the gym with my brother.

My hesitations? Being the only woman in the gym and that people might make fun of me as I am very heavy and big, but since brother was with me, it made me feel okay.

Me Using the Elliptical Machine

It took us 15 minutes to walk from home to the gym, but since I just wanted to try things out, I started with the Elliptical Machine. I sure hoped to use the treadmill as I haven't used one (that is electric-powered), but someone's using it, so I used the Elliptical Machine instead.

It certainly is lighter and easier to use than the one we had at home. I went for 2 resistance and used it for 20 minutes nonstop at 80 - 100 rpm. It was quite addicting, but because I am not used to using the machine and I was out of my fitness routine for quite sometime, so of course I did feel some tension on my legs.

Brother

My brother tried out the Bicycle Machine, and for a person who's not really into exercising, he did well by pedaling for 15 minutes non-stop.

My Sweat

I was sweating real hard that time. Sure it was quite easy, but I guess it was really different from the morning walks I do.

Extreme Gym

My brother tried using the other machines, but I felt the machines were too heavy to use. One trainer asked me if it was my first time and when I said yes, he asked me to join him and one female gym-goer for some dumbbells workout.

At home I started with a pair of dumbbells weighing 2lbs each. Before I went on a fitness holiday, I started using a pair of 4lb dumbbells. The trainer gave me a pair of 6lb dumbbells. I didn't know why, but he did one routine and asked me to do it for 2 sets of 12 counts, with one minute rest in between sets.

It was tough. My legs were quite wobbly because of the nonstop spinning on the Elliptical Machine, and doing squats added more pressure on my legs. One thing I was thankful for though, I learned the proper way to do squats that didn't strain my weak knees. He then asked me to do lunges, but I only was able to do one set because my legs were really tired and I felt I couldn't take one more step.

Anyway, fees at the gym is very affordable. Membership fee is at p100, and usage fee is divided into four schemes: Daily (p35), Weekly (p120), Bi-Weekly (p220), and Monthly (p400). Currently, brother and I are using the daily scheme as we didn't visit the gym everyday, but of course paying for the monthly scheme will sure be the most practical of all.

The gym is near, but they only have one piece of every machine. Also, I didn't get to ask if they have a shower or a changing room, so that one I don't know yet. The place doesn't have air conditioning system, but they do have water dispenser on standby to help hydrate the gym goers.

I am not sure if I will be that religious when it comes to gym, but hopefully, I can learn how to use each of the machines to my advantage.



2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I believe that's what we call a good start to your gym routine. :-) The machines do help you tone up. I go to the gym 4-6 days in a week. That's the only way I will work out. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello po, san po to banda? try kong puntahan kasi mura lang,salamat

    ReplyDelete

We are grateful to have you here.